15 July 2012

Delson fires Lun Bawang into second round

Saturday, July 14, 2012
DELSON Jumat's rapid brace put Lun Bawang on their way to a 4-0 win over Persatuan Batang Mitus and a place in the second round of the Brunei FA Cup yesterday.

With Persatuan Batang Mitus still reeling after Eliazar Sabtu gave Lun Bawang a 38th minute lead, Delson doubled the team's cushion after a one-on-one with goalkeeper Farizan Salleh just seconds later.

The 20-year-old would put the Temburong-based side 3-0 up in the 42nd minute after stealing the ball on defence and once again cooly slotting home, making it three goals in the space of five minutes.

"One goal wasn't enough we needed more to seal the result," stressed Delson after the game at the Hassanal Bolkiah National Stadium in Berakas.

"I'm always confident I can score heading into every game, and as a striker, that is my aim," added Delson, who was forced out in the second-half due to a high boot to his face by a Persatuan Batang Mitus defender that was left unpunished.

Lun Bawang's through balls and one-two passing meant they easily carved open space be it down the middle or through the flanks.

Their persistent off-the-ball pressure helped them regain possession after losing it at times, Persatuan Batang Mitus were happy to just boot the ball away and hope for the best.

Idris Lupat created the first goal when his shot was parried away by Farizan after a run down the left, but only to the onrushing Eliazar - who confidently pounded the ball in from close range.

Persatuan Batang Mitus' back-line was caught napping seconds later when a ball over the top found Delson, who used his pace to beat his markers and stroke the ball into the net despite cries of offside.

Delson doubled his goal-tally after dispossessing left-back Res Ardi Angip and scoring with a low-strike past Farizan's right, with Idris making it 4-0 in the 78th minute after a textbook free-kick over the wall and into the top-left corner.

Liang Lumut Recreation Club Football Team (LLRC FT) also progressed into the second round after beating BIBD Sports and Recreational Club 4-1 yesterday in the last of first round action.

The second round is expected to start after Hari Raya.-Jason Thomas

The Brunei Times

No comments:

Post a Comment