31 December 2017

Brunei club make U-turn after FAS considers to new rules but move draws flak.

Brunei DPMM have announced that they will continue to play in the S-League next season.
Last week, the club had posted on their website that they were exploring the possibility of leaving Singapore's professonal football league to join Indonesia's top-tier league.
CNN Indonesia reported that the club had met officials from the Football AssociationIndonesia last week to discuss the matter.
Sources had revealed that DPMM were concerned that the FAS S-League revamp plans on imposing age quotas and a reduction in the number of foreign players would hurt their ability to be competitive.
But on Monday,the 2015 S-League champions removed the post, announcing instead that they will stayin the competition for the next season,which starts in March.
The Straits Times understands that the U-turn came about as the FAS considers allowing DPMM to sign four foreign players -twice the number local clubs are allowed.
Sources also revealed that there will be no age restrictions placed on the rest of the playing roster.
This raised eyebrows within the football fraternity as the FAShad consulted local clubs on the matter and, if DPMM are given special concesson,that will appear to go against the natonal body's plans to focus on youth development.
An age quota aimed at giving younger players more exposure will be imposed on the six senior local clubs next season while Japanese side Albirex Niigata, the league's other foreign side, will also be subjected to restrictions.
For a 21-man squad, two-time defending champons Albirex must have nine Under-21 players,nine Under-23s and only one player of any age.They will also be allowed to sign two U-23 Singaporeans.
The FAS did not confirm the DPMM's announcement, but in response to ST's queries, a spokeman said: "In view of the announced changes to competition rules,the FAS is in discussions with DPMM on their participation in the 2018 domestic professonal league.
"An announcement will be made in due course."
But ST understands that some S-League clubs have called for the FAS to allow DPMM to field only two of their four imports at any time in a match,while others have requested that local clubs eb allowd to sign a third foreign player. 
Some in the fraternity believe that having four foreign players will give DPMM a huge advantage but Warriors FC general manager Paul Poh is unfazed.
"I can understand that the U-23 move is a Singapore development programme and we can't enforce it on Brunei DPMM if they feel that their youth is not ready," he said.
"We can work with the number of foreign players that they have been allowed to sign.They have been our partners for so long and we should move to keep them with us."
Poh is confident that S-League clubs can compete with DPMM because of a shift in players' mindsets.
"My personal view is that (with the new regulations) players now understand that they have to work hard.I believe that if they do,they can be good as a foreign player."
Others were not so competitive.
Speaking on condition on anonymity,a former S-League club official scoffed at the new rules.
"There's one set of rules for local clubs, one for the Young Lions,one for Albirex, and another for DPMM - they are making a mockery of the league," he sad.
'The league title will be a two-horse race between Albirex and DPMM because the rules for local clubs will definitely weaken them." 



IN REFERENCE to the story published on December 23, titled ‘DPMM establish contact with PSSI on Liga 1’s interest’, the National Football Association of Brunei Darussalam (NFABD) clarified that NFABD Acting General Secretary, Roslin Suhailee, was the only official representing Brunei at the FIFA Summit in Hong Kong.
The NFABD also clarified that the possibility of DPMM FC competing in Indonesia’s Liga 1 was not on the summit’s agenda. The NFABD is not aware of the interest of DPMM FC wanting to participate in the PSSI League.
The NFABD’s Acting General Secretary was only approached by PSSI’s Vice President and General Secretary during breakfast stating that they were approached by the Football Association Malaysia (FAM) mentioning the possibility of DPMM FC joining the Indonesian Liga 1.

07 December 2017

DST FA Cup draw held, to start January 2018

THE Brunei DST FA Cup 2017 will commence in January 2018, as revealed during the Tournament Draw and Managers’ Meeting for the cup tournament yesterday, at the Multi-Purpose Hall of the National Football Association of Brunei Darussalam’s (NFABD) House in Berakas.
The meeting was led by Haji Mohd Noor bin Haji Hamid, Executive Committee of NFABD.
Eight teams from the Premier League including the invited Tabuan Muda U-16 played in the first round. Premier League’s Champion Setia Perdana and four other teams qualifed into the second round and will play teams from the Super League.
In the second round draw, Indera SC will face IKLS FC; Lun Bawang will meet Jerudong FC; Wijaya FC will take on BSRC FT; and Najib i-Team against Kasuka FC.
Premier League’s reigning champion will test their grit against Brunei’s Tabuan U-16. MS PDB will entertain Kota Rangers FC, and Menglait FC will reel against DSP United. Tabuan Muda ‘A’ will be slotted to face FA Cup’s defending champion, MS ABDB. All matches will start in January 2018 with the exact dates to be announced soon.
As an additional local ground rules, five substitutions will be allowed during the knock-out stages of the tournament.
Team managers in a group photo with NFABD’s Executive Committee. – KHAIRIL HASSAN


Brunei fall to Kyrgyzstan 4-0

BRUNEI lost 4-0 to Kyrgyzstan in their second game of the Aceh World Solidarity Cup in Aceh, Indonesia yesterday.
“The team fought hard today with full commitment and strong determination to move the ball forward as we were unable to play possession football due to the heavy rain,” said head coach Stephen Ng.
“We will regroup, recover and prepare to give our best in our last game against Mongolia,” he added.
According to a press release, Brunei end their campaign with the match against Mongolia tomorrow. The team fell 4-0 to hosts Indonesia in their first game of the four-team invitational tournament last Saturday.

02 December 2017

National team leave for Aceh World Solidarity Cup

THE national football team left for Aceh, Indonesia, today to compete in the Aceh World Solidarity Cup.
In the invitational four-team tournament hosted for the first time, Brunei face Indonesia on Saturday, Kyrgyzstan on Monday and Mongolia on Wednesday.
“The team will be using this tournament as a means to expose and assess more players for next year’s ASEAN Football Federation (AFF) Suzuki Cup qualifiers against Timor Leste and the Hassanal Bolkiah Trophy (HBT),” said head coach Stephen Ng.
“The tournament also serves as an opportunity for new and younger players to step up their game after playing well in their respective DST (Super League and Premier League) clubs this year as seven players in the squad are Under-20 and will be available for selection for next year’s HBT,” he added.
Present at the Brunei International Airport to wish the team off were National Football Association of Brunei Darussalam (NFABD) Acting Vice President Hj Madli Mohd Yussof and other NFABD officials.

Source: NFABD