03 March 2013

Ivan out with skull fractures


Sunday, March 3, 2013
DPMM FC'S Ivan Bosnjak will have to undergo surgery after fracturing the bones around his ear and eye during Friday night's 3-3 draw against Hougang United FC.

Though the 2006 World Cup-playing Croatian striker received more than his fair share of abuse from Hougang's back-line, he played on through the pain and emerged with a bandaged head in the second half of the Singapore League match with coach Vjeran Simunic correctly predicting that his compatriot would have to go for an operation after the match.
Bosnjak was instrumental in DPMM FC's attack and really came into his own in the second half, and though the team would squander a two-goal lead and miss two penalties one of which he won - the 34-year-old insists he has no memory of their home season opener.

"I still don't remember even one minute of the game," he said yesterday during a telephone interview with The Brunei Times from the Raja Isteri Pengiran Anak Saleha (RIPAS) Hospital.

"I was told we missed two penalties, and I missed one, but I don't remember anything.

"We're still not sure where should I go for surgery. I think Singapore, but we'll decide in the next few days," added Bosnjak, who has 14 caps and one international goal to his name.

Bosnjak was rushed to RIPAS after the game and said he might be released today.

Despite being ruled out for action for what looks to be the best part of a month, Bosnjak is already raring to get back to action.

Simunic said Bosnjak one of the club's four new imports this season is sure to miss at least a month of football.

Two months would be more reasonable, but Bosnjak wants to get back to the pitch to make amends for the penalty miss as soon as possible.

"I will clear all that up in the next game," he promised.

"I won't play the next two games and I hope on March 31 I will be ready to play in front of the public (against Woodlands Wellington).

"I will have to wear a mask, but I want to play," Bosnjak vowed.

Probably no one is more worried about Bosnjak's injury than Simunic, who blames himself for allowing him to play despite knowing that he had a fracture.

The two have a long history together, with Bosnjak starting his career in 1997 at Croatian side Cibalia under Simunic's guidance.

"I feel horrible, I haven't slept all night," said Simunic yesterday.

"I should have ignored Ivan's big desire to continue the game in the second half. It was a horrible kick and we saw a fracture on his face, but he begged me to play.

"It was difficult to say no... I remember during my playing days as a goalkeeper, I risked my life to play, took injections to play... Bosnjak is the same.

"He is crazy brave. This was his first (home) game for DPMM FC and he risked his life.

"Now his face is not the same... I'm not sure who did it but it was one of Hougang's three last men.... I will have to watch the replays.

"Salleh (defender Pg Sallehuddin Pg Hj Damit) also got many knocks, but this is football I'm not complaining.

"Football nowadays is like war, not about technique. Hougang are not the same team as they were under Bacina (former coach Nenad Bacina).

"They play aggressive football and are a better team than last year, but I expected a game like this and I respect Hougang," added last season's S-League Coach of the Year.

DPMM FC face Courts Young Lions (Singaporean national Under-23 team) on Thursday and Japanese team Albirex Niigata (S) FC on March 11, the games set to be played at Singapore's Jalan Besar Stadium and Jurong East Stadium respectively.

They return to the Hassanal Bolkiah National Stadium in Berakas for their fifth game of the season against Woodlands, and it's safe to say Bosnjak won't be satisfied unless his name on the team-list.The Brunei Times

No comments:

Post a Comment