31 May 2015

Another loss to Vietnam

Saturday, May 30, 2015

TABUAN Muda (the national Under-23 football team) faded in the second half to suffer a 6-0 beating at the hands of Vietnam in the Group B opener of the 28th Southeast Asian (SEA) Games yesterday.
The result should come as no surprise as it follows their 8-0 defeat to Vietnam at the 2011 SEA Games in Indonesia and 7-0 loss at the 2013 Games in Myanmar.
The Sultanate were under heavy fire but managed to only trail 1-0 at halftime before conceding five in the second half at the Bishan Stadium.
The day’s other game saw titleholders Thailand beat Laos 6-0.
Speaking after the game, Tabuan Muda coach Stephen Ng felt that difference in experience was the biggest factor in their loss.
“It was a story of two halves. First half we were down 1-0, and I thought we did fairly okay as we competed for 45 minutes,” said Ng at a post match press conference.
“Unfortunately, conceding early in the second half unsettled the team a bit.
“The last 20-25 minutes wasn’t good. It is something we have to look to improve on for coming games.
“Their (Vietnam’s) experience counted in the second half. They (Vietnam) capitalised on our lapse till the end of the game,” added the Singaporean
On the other hand, Vietnam head coach Toshiya Miura was delighted with the lopsided win.
“Yes, I’m happy with the performance. First half wasn’t so easy but they were hardworking,” said Miura.
“Even though the score was 3-0 and 4-0… They didn’t stop until 6-0. I’m satisfied with the result,” he concluded.
Vietnam put in their first shot on target through Tran Phi Son in the second minute but Tabuan Muda goalkeeper Mohd Ahsanuddin Hj Mohd Dani pushed it out. The ensuing corner resulted in Brunei having to clear the ball off the line twice.
Vietnam were continuously putting dangerous crosses into the box and broke the deadlock in the 25th minute.
Ho Ngoc Thang delivered a ball into the box from the right for Le Thanh Binh, who made a good run and was easily able to tap it past Mohd Ahsanuddin.
They almost got a second when Tran tried to lob Mohd Ahsanuddin in the 28th minute but it went just wide.
At the other end, Ak Yura Indera Putera Pg Yunos had a good chance to unleash YAM Pg Muda Faiq HRH Prince Jefri Bolkiah in the 33rd minute but was quickly surrounded to prevent the pass.
Brunei had their best chance of the match in the 43rd minute with Azwan Ali Rahman providing a free-kick from 20 yards out into the box - but Md Hanif Hamir put it wide.
It took only two minutes after the interval for Vietnam to double their lead after a free-kick was given away at the edge of the box.
Substitute Nguyen Cong Phuong put it into the box for Tran to head it into the net.
Vietnam had several chances and had Brunei pegged onto their own half, and were unfortunate not to hit the target.
They were awarded a penalty in the 63rd minute after Muhmmad Nur Ikhmal Damit was judged to have committed a handball that prevented a header from going in.
Nguyen took the spot kick but it bounced off the crossbar and he eventually put the rebound over.
Another substitute, Mac Hong Quan, had his header inside the box dealt with by Md Ahsanuddin in the 74th minute.
But he got his name on the scoresheet seconds later after slotting the ball home from the left to make it 3-0.
Three minutes later, Ho got past his marker on the right before putting it across goal for Pham Duc Huy to tap it in.
It was 5-0 to Vietnam in the 82nd minute after a mistake by a Brunei defender to head the ball to the feet of Mac, and the latter would place it in the middle for Nguyen to net .
Vietnam could have added to the tally in the 84th minute but Mac could only watch his effort crash off the woodwork.
Skipper Pham Manh Hung got his name on the scoresheet in the 89th minute, but Vietnam were not done as Mac once against hit the crossbar late into injury time.

The Brunei Times

No comments:

Post a Comment