25 February 2016

DPMM FC held by Eagles

Sunday, February 21, 2016

REIGNING Singapore League (S-League) champions DPMM FC were held to a 1-1 draw against 10-man Geylang International FC last night.
Sahil Suhaimi opened the scoring for Geylang while Rafael Ramazotti got on the scoresheet for DPMM FC at the Bedok Stadium in Singapore.
DPMM FC are now seventh in the nine-team league with one point from two matches after a 3-2 defeat against Albirex Niigata (S) FC in the Community Shield last Saturday.
According to the S-League Twitter updates, a freekick for DPMM FC almost caught Geylang goalkeeper Syazwan Buhari out at the back post in the second minute.
Geylang found the back of the net three minutes later but was flagged for offside.
Gabriel Quak took a shot at goal from the edge of the box in the 11th minute but was off target.
DPMM FC had a chance in the 18th minute but Azwan Ali Rahman failed to capitalise on a cross from the right.
The Eagles took a short corner in the 22nd minute but DPMM FC shotstopper Wardun Yussof tipped the ball away. Azwan Ali was on target four minutes later but Syazwan was to his equal to keep the match goalless.
The hosts threatened again in the 29th minute after a freekick by Carlos Delgado was headed over the bar.
At the othe end, Maududi Hilmi Kasmi produced a cross in the 38th minute but Azwan Ali couldn’t convert at the far post.
Geylang almost grabbed the lead a minute after the interval off a counterattack but Wardun came to the rescue to deny Quak’s effort from just outside the six-yard box.
A chance went begging for the Brunei side in the 59th minute as Azwan Ali’s cross was just too far ahead for Ramazotti.
Azwan Ali struck a freekick on target on the hour mark but was saved by Syazwan.
The DPMM FC forward threatened again three minutes later but his left footed shot was inches wide of the goal.
The Eagles found the back of the net again courtesy of Al-Qaasimy Rahman in the 65th minute but was ruled offside. Geylang were reduced to 10 men three minutes later after Amy Recha was sent off for his second yellow card.
Brian McLean got a header on target in the 69th minute but it couldn’t test the Geylang custodian. Geylang broke the deadlock in the 75th minute with Sahil Suhaimi squeezing the ball past Wardun.
The lead was shortlived as DPMM FC answered back with Ramazotti scoring on the restart.
Geylang could have stole all three points just before the final whistle as Sahil sent a ball to the top left corner but Wardun produced a magnificent save to ensure both teams share the spoils.
Over at the Jalan Besar Stadium in Singapore, Albirex picked up their second straight win after a 5-0 thrashing of the Young Lions (Singapore national under-23 football team).
Atsushi Kawata scored four goals while Masaya Jitozono netted the other.

The Brunei Times

No comments:

Post a Comment