16 June 2016

DPMM FC fall to Tampines in seven-goal thriller

Sunday, June 12, 2016

DPMM FC came from behind thrice but it was not enough to see them slump to their sixth defeat in the Singapore League (S-League) after a 4-3 loss to Tampines Rovers FC last night.
Fazrul Nawaz, Jordan Webb, Billy Mehmet and Jermaine Pennant all got on the scoresheet for Tampines to give new coach Akbar Nawas a winning debut at the Jurong West Stadium in Singapore.
Rafael Ramazotti bagged a double while Azwan Ali Rahman netted the other for DPMM FC in a losing effort. The defending champions remain in sixth position in the nine-team table and are stuck on 18 points while the Stags are now on 25 points, seven adrift of leaders Albirex Niigata (S) FC.
According to the S-League Twitter feed, the first chance fell for Tampines in the third minute but Webb fired over from close range. The hosts got another chance in the 13th minute but Fabian Kwok’s shot from the edge of the box was tipped over by DPMM FC goalkeeper Wardun Yussof.
Another opportunity went begging three minutes later after Pennant put Fazrul through but he somehow put his effort wide.
DPMM FC found the back of the net in the 22nd minute after Brian McLean headed home a corner but the goal was ruled out.
Paulo Sergio placed a freekick on target four minutes later but his attempt was saved by Tampines custodian Joey Sim.
The Portuguese forward was on target again in the 29th minute but it was cleared by Yasir Hanapi.
Rafael Ramazotti drove a powerful shot from inside the box two minutes later but Sim was to his equal for a save.
Tampines broke the deadlock in the 37th minute after Web cut back for Fazrul to fire home from inside the six-yard box.
DPMM FC pulled level in the 43rd minute after Azwan Ali curled home a shot from just outside the six-yard box. The Stags regained the lead just before halftime after Webb headed home Pennant’s freekick.
Pennant made a good run down the middle six minutes before unleashing a shot from 20 yards out in the 51st minute only to watch it finish at the wrong side of the post.
The former Arsenal and Liverpool midfielder then had a freekick from the edge of the box tipped over by Wardun three minutes later.
DPMM FC equalised in the 57th minute after Ramazotti headed home Azwan Ali’s cross from the right.
Wardun came to the rescue of the Brunei side again two minutes later to deny Fazrul but the Stags regained the lead in the 63rd minute after Mehmet poked the ball home from two yards out to make it 3-2.
The match was all-square again seven minutes later after Sergio stole the ball off Afiq Yunos before Ramazotti fired past Sim from just inside the box.
Jufri was on target with a 30-yard volley in the 72nd minute but Wardun put up another stop.
The Stags got in front for the fourth and final time in the 79th minute after a quick one-two between Pennant and Hafiz to saw the former put the ball past an onrushing Wardun.
Over at the Jalan Besar Stadium, Home United FC came back from two goals down to draw 2-2 against the Garena Young Lions (the Singapore national under-21 football team).
Ken Ilso netted a last gasp equaliser after a poor clearance by Young Lions goalkeeper Benjamin Bertrand.

The Brunei Times

No comments:

Post a Comment