BANDAR SERI BEGAWAN (7 Sept 2018) – Timor Leste are prepared for anything Brunei will unleash against them as they attempt defend their lead in the AFF Suzuki Cup second leg qualifying match at the Hassanal Bolkiah Stadium here tomorrow night.
But with Brunei chasing down a two-goal deficit after their 3-1 loss in their first leg in Kuala Lumpur last week, Timor Leste are fully aware of the enormous challenge that lies ahead of them.
“Brunei have the advantage at home, their fans will give power to their players and that will undoubtedly make it tough for us,” said Timor Leste coach Norio Tsukitate. “But if Brunei levels the score here, it will really become very difficult.”
Norio’s concerns are well-founded. Despite the defeat, Brunei had proven, especially in the second half last week, that they were a capable side. With home support and fewer errors, they will indeed pose a serious threat tomorrow.
To ensure they deliver their best and advance, Brunei have been working on their mistakes to get their act together to outdo their opponents in the second leg. “Since returning, we have been working hard on our weaknesses and also looked at the mistakes. We will come back strong tomorrow,” vowed Brunei coach Kwon Oh Son at the pre-match Press Conference today. “Our players are fit and prepared for the match.”
Brunei can’t afford to make any mistakes and must take the fight to their rivals tomorrow if they hope to advance to the final round. Asked what were his plans against the hosts, Norio said this: “Our players must give a 100 percent performance, that’s our strategy.”
In the first leg last Saturday, striker Henrique Wilson Da Cruz Martins cracked the Brunei defence twice in the first half before Azwan Ali made it 2-1 in the second. Silveiro Garcia then added a third to put his team in a stronger position for the return encounter.