14 June 2012

Tunas FC extinguish Smkerz FT

Thursday, June 14, 2012
TUNAS FC blew past a breathless Smkerz FT 9-1 in last night's Brunei FA Cup first-round tie, putting on an efficient display of attacking football capped by six goals in the last 20 minutes.

Faiz Farhan Kamat grabbed four goals for the Tutong-based side three of them in the last six minutes.

Abdul Muiz Mahmud helped himself to a hat-trick and the Hj Johor brothers Ahmad Radhey and Muhd Taqi each bagged a goal of their own at the Berakas Sports Complex.

Work commitment for Tunas' senior players meant that Md Hairolrani Abdullah had to field eight Under-23 players in his starting-11, a move which paid off handsomely as the younger players impressed with their pace, powering the team to the biggest margin of victory in this year's competition.

Despite the scoreline Tunas' coach felt the team have a lot more to offer.

"I'm not exactly satisfied ... I think we were only on 75 per cent," said Md Hairolrani.

"We only had 12 players today ... and our side was mostly made up of reserves.

"We were playing a lot of long balls and it worked because we have skilled strikers," he explained of the team's tactics.

Abdul Muiz opened the scoring in the 23rd minute after connecting on a cross from the right and made it 2-0 ten minutes later after latching onto a through ball and poking it home.

Controlling the midfield, it was inevitable that Tunas would add to their lead in the second half.

A diagonal run by Ahmad Radhey saw him scamp past Smkerz goalkeeper Noorjam Hj Abd Kahar before poking the ball into an empty net in the 66th minute, and it was 4-0 five minutes later when Faiz rifled home from a tight angle.

Muhd Taqi scored the highlight of the night, beating his defender and chipping from long-range with Noorjam rooted to the spot and looking on in disbelief.

Abdul Muiz got his hat-trick in the 81st minute after tapping in a squared-pass from Faiz, who made it 7-0 with a header in the 83rd minute and 8-0 during a one-on-one in the 86th minute.

Smkerz were being runned ragged but they managed a consolation when Abdul Wafi Abdul Wahab stole the ball off a static Tunas defence and fired home from close range.

Faiz had the last laugh though, his uncontested header making it 9-1 in the 90th minute.

Action continues tomorrow with Menglait FC taking on IKLS at the Berakas Sports Complex at 8:15pm, while Mangalela Kuala Belait face Setia Perdana at the Hassanal Bolkiah National Stadium in Berakas at 4pm.

The Brunei Times 

No comments:

Post a Comment