25 July 2013

DPMM FC's heartbreak

Yee Chun Leong


Thursday, July 25, 2013

IT was heartbreak for DPMM FC after they let in a last second goal to lose 1-0 to Global FC of the Philippines in the first leg of their quarter-finals encounter of the Singapore Cup last night.

A freekick was sent from midfield and, with the DPMM FC backline caught napping, Spanish forward Rufino Sanchez headed in the game-winner in the 96th minute at the Jalan Besar Stadium in Singapore.

DPMM FC head coach, Vjeran Simunic, didn't know what hit them and was disappointed to lose the game after seeing his charges put up a good performance.

"We did really well for the whole game and we deserved at least a draw. To let in a last second goal is very frustrating and can be difficult to understand," said Simunic in an interview with The Brunei Times after the loss.

"We have been attacking the whole game and had better chances. We should have scored after a good chance by Arturas (Rimkevicius in the second half) and we really missed Shahrazen (Said) at the front tonight (Wednesday)," he added.

Global FC had the better start to the game and had their first chance in the 18th minute after Carlos de Murga fired a header over the bar.

The Filipino outfit should have taken the lead just before the break in the 44th minute. A freekick was deflected off wall resulting in De Murga heading it towards goal but DPMM shotstopper Wardun Yussof was on hand to block his attempt.

Global captain Ben Starosta pounced on the rebound but was off target.

Brunei's only professional team came out storming after the interval and had a good chance to score in the 55th minute.

Brazilian midfielder Rodrigo Tosi had connected on a freekick but saw the ball wide of the post.

In the 71st minute, Global almost broke the deadlock but Jeffrey Christiaens could only head over the bar from a Sanchez cross.

DPMM FC had their best chance of the matchup seven minutes later after Tosi fired a shot from outside the box which required a good save by Roland Sadia in between the Global sticks.

An unmarked Arturas got the rebound but could only see his shot over the bar.

The Brunei side almost stole it in the 89th minute off a corner resulting in an attempt from outside box which required another Sadia save.

The referee indicated four minutes of extra time which would explain why DPMM FC never saw the final goal coming in the 96th minute.

Simunic expects his players to move on quickly and focus on the next meeting against the Philippine team.

"We will need to forget this game quickly. I couldn't have asked for anything more from the players," said Smunic.

"What happened had already happened. We know that it won't be easy but we will have to focus on our next game," concluded the Croatian.

They will face off in the second leg at the same venue on Saturday.

The Brunei Times

No comments:

Post a Comment