02 September 2015

10-man DPMM FC slip to third defeat of season

Sunday, August 30, 2015

TEN-MAN DPMM FC succumbed to only their third defeat of their Singapore League (S-League) campaign with a 2-1 loss at the hands of the Balestier Khalsa FC last night.
The setback at the Toa Payoh Stadium snaps their three-game winning streak and is also the second time that the Tigers upended the Brunei side – winning by the same scoreline at the Hassanal Bolkiah National Stadium in Berakas on May 1.
DPMM FC remain top of the table with 32 points from 17 matches and lead by just one over second-placed Albirex Niigata (S) FC, who have played a game more. Balestier are now up to third spot with 29 points and on better goal difference from defending champions Warriors FC after they drew 1-1 against basement dwellers Geylang International FC at the Choa Chu Kang Stadium in Singapore in the other game last night.
Brunei’s only professional team got off to a relative good start but the hosts took full advantage from the seventh minute after DPMM FC sweeper Boris Raspudic was made to leave the pitch for a bloodied nose from a previous aerial challenge.
Miroslav Kristic then had back-to-back chances but couldn’t put his attempts on target. The Tigers took the lead in the 13th minute after a good ball by Kristic sent Yusiskandar Yusop through but DPMM FC goalkeeper Wardun Yussof was to his equal to produce a stop.
However, the rebound landed for Robert Pericic to score from five yards out.
The match finally got back to equal playing field right after with Raspudic reinserted back into the game.
With time and space inside the box, Ignatius Ang had a good chance to double the lead in the 19th minute but blasted over.
Rafael Ramazotti got an opportunity to equalise for the visitors in the 29th minute but Balestier shotstopper Zaiful Nizam dived down his left for a good save.
The Brazilian forward came close again 39th minute after a good ball over the top by Md Hendra Azam Md Idris sent him through but Zaiful came off his line to clear the danger.
Kristic tried one from about 35 yards out two minutes later but only straight into Wardun.
The Tigers went forward again in the 43rd minute as Ang broke down the left and into the box before putting the ball in the middle for Kristic. The Croatian forward took his time but was unfortunate to watch his shot bounce off the underside of the bar.
DPMM FC should have equalised in the 58th minute after a good ball by Paulo Sergio into the box for Shahrazen Said at the far post but the latter couldn’t steer his header on target.
Instead the Tigers doubled their lead on the hour mark off a quick counter attack to see Kristic get the better of three DPMM FC players to put it past Wardun off the post.
Shahrazen found Sergio inside the box in the 68th minute but the Portuguese forward couldn’t get his header from three yards out past Zaiful. Shahrazen threatened down the left in the 75th minute after getting past two markers before firing wide off the left post.
Things got from bad to worse for DPMM FC as they were reduced to 10 men after Joe Gamble was shown a straight red card for a challenge on Tarik Cmajcanin.
It was all Balestier from then on and they should have added to the scoresheet late on.
Pericic rounded Wardun before putting his shot at goal but his effort was cleared off the line by Brian McLean in the 88th minute.
Ang got the better of Wardun but his shot from inside the box was denied by the inside of the vertical two minutes later.
DPMM FC were given a consolation with Sergio chipping Zaiful late into stoppage time.
The Brunei side will now take a break and head back home for their next against Harimau Muda (Malaysia national under-22 football team) on September 12.

The Brunei Times

No comments:

Post a Comment