09 April 2016

‘Team responded well in 2nd half’

Sunday, April 10, 2016

GARENA Young Lions (Singapore national under-21 football team) coach Patrick Hesse felt that DPMM FC were simply the better team in their 4-1 defeat in the Singapore League (S-League) on Friday night.
Maududi Hilmi Kasmi had given the hosts a brilliant start before Fareez Farhan responded for the Young Lions just before halftime.
But DPMM FC dominated the second half at the Hassanal Bolkiah National Stadium in Berakas on their way to their third win of the season.
“We didn’t have a very good first half. We wanted to win the second ball and we didn’t but at halftime it was 1-1,” said Hesse.
“I said to the players that I’m sure you can play better in the second half. I made a mistake as Brunei played better than us.
“But what is good is that game after game we are getting more opportunities to score. At the beginning of the season we only had one or two then last week against Tampines (Rovers FC) we had five or six,” added the Frenchman.
“Tonight (Friday night) we had several good opportunities to score and I said to (DPMM FC) coach (Steve) Kean that the score could have been 8-4.
“Twelve goals would have been good but Brunei were the better team,” he continued.
Hesse also felt that failing to capitalise on their opportunities in front of goal hurt them.
“Fareez had two good chances. When he couldn’t score, immediately DPMM FC scored from the corner,” said the Young Lions coach.
“It was a missed opportunity and just after Brunei made it 3-1, he had a very big opportunity against the goalkeeper with three other players but instead he (Fareez) put too much on the ball.
“If it was 3-2 perhaps it wouldn’t be the same game but Brunei could have scored several times. In the end, tonight is a logical result,” he added.
On the other hand, Kean felt that his charges took their foot off the pedal after the opening goal but responded well after the interval.
“I think for the fans it was a very open game with the amount of chances for both sides.
“I felt that after we got a fantastic start, some thing we haven’t been doing in the past few games, for some reason we just stopped,” said Kean.
“We started slowing the game down and played too many passes sideways and not going forward. But credit to the players at halftime I told them to give more service to the front guys,” he added.
“We played really well in the second half and probably could have got three or four more goals.
“Considering the way we finished the first half. We are delighted with the way we completed the whole second half,” concluded the Scotsman.
DPMM FC will play their fourth of a six-game home stretch with a meeting against Balestier Khalsa FC on Friday.

The Brunei Times

No comments:

Post a Comment