11 August 2016

Wijaya FC edge past Najip I-Team in DST Super League

WIJAYA FC secured a narrow 1-0 win over Najip I-Team in their first match in the second round of the DST Super League at the Balapan Track and Field of the Hassanal Bolkiah National Sports Complex in Berakas yesterday.
An own goal from Najip’s team captain Mushiready Chuchu in the 60th minute helped secure three points for Wijaya FC, cementing their position in second place with 15 points behind reigning champions, The Royal Brunei Armed Forces Sports Council (MS ABDB) who sit at the summit of the 10-team table with 19 points.
Wijaya started off strongly in the first half, though missed several chances, notably in the 36th minute after Wijaya skipper, Marhazif Ahad was awarded a free-kick, though his shot was saved by Najip’s goalkeeper, Ron Junior Philip.
Wijaya continued to push on for a goal in the second half and a vital goal resulted from a technical error off Najip’s defence line and allowed Mushiready struck an own goal into their net, rendering Philip helpless to save the shot.
The goal boosted Wijaya’s confidence and they began to attack further. However, Najip’s Philip refused to falter and continued to deny Wijaya’s attackers.
Wijaya’s Mohd Shah Azahar could’ve made it 2-0 in the 67th minute, before his shot went past left of the goal post.
Wijaya continued to dominate possession in the second half though failed to find Najip’s back net. Mohd Shah Hafiz had a shot for Wijaya in the last 10 minutes of the second half though his shot went off the top of the goal bar.
Wijaya’s head coach and interim team manager, Mahdini Hj Mohamad told The Brunei Times: “We missed a lot of crucial chances - especially in the second half. “We had a three month break, so I had expected a bit of a slow start in our first game… so hopefully we’ll be better in our next match.
Meanwhile the match between Jerudong FC and Kasuka FC ended in a 2-2 draw at the Tutong Sports Complex last night.
The Brunei Times

No comments:

Post a Comment