23 January 2014

QAF and Jerudong share spoils

Wednesday, January 22, 2014
QAF FC were held to a 2-2 draw by Jerudong FC in the opener of the 2014 DST Super League at the Balapan Track and Field of the Hassanal Bolkiah National Spots Complex in Berakas last night.
QAF manager Rahim Hj Daud told The Brunei Times that he was relieved to walk away from the match with a point but expressed disappointment with how the performance of the team.
“I am not happy with the boys tonight. Even though we controlled the game, we missed a lot of chances,” he said.
“I don’t know what happened tonight, maybe the field is too slippery after the rain or maybe the players did not give their all in the game but I am very thankful that we did not lose the game,” he added.
QAF was the first to create a real chance when Petrus Jumat's cross found Hardi Bujang on the left inside the penalty box but his shot was parried by Jerudong goalkeeper Mohd Khairul Anuar Hj Abd Ghani.
Jerudong had a chance to take the lead but their calls for a penalty — after striker Mohd Julremi Hj Zaini was brought down by captain Riwandi Abd Wahit — fell on deaf ears.
A few minutes later Jerudong caught QAF napping as they allowed Mohd Julremi to run freely into the penalty box following a clearance from Jerudong's own half.
Mohd Julremi calmly slotted the ball from close range to give Jerudong a 1-0 lead in the 26th minute.
The QAF midfield responded and took control of the game with Mohd Hardyman Abdul Lamit holding a defensive role, while, twin brothers Mardi Mirza Abdullah Bujang and Hardi pressed higher up the pitch.
Mardi Mirza put on an impressive performance, especially in the first-half with his accurate passes, but were most impressive on both flanks.
Sam Frank — on the right — and Petrus Jumat caused a lot of trouble for Jerudong with their pace and crosses, with the former equalising in the 42nd minute with a stunning header from the edge of the box following a corner kick from the right.
Mohd Asnawi Syazwi Abd Aziz was particularly impressive for Jerudong, the winger found himself with a good scoring opportunity in the box, but he could only muster a weak shot with his left foot.
QAF also dominated the second-half, but again it was Jerudong who found the net, Mohd Endy Soehardy Awg Sapar capitalising on a poor clearance by QAF defender inside the penalty box.
QAF continued to pile the pressure on Jerudong as they searched for an equaliser.
They finally got their reward in the 73rd minute when Frank beat Jerudong goalkeeper from outside the penalty box with a spectacular shot following an impressive pin-point cross by Mohd Hardyman from the right.
Mohd Asnawi missed the chance to put Jerudong ahead a few minutes later when he headed wide a Mohd Radzi Tamat cross from the right.
Mardi Mirza should have scored in the 80th minute when he was set through inside the penalty box, but he blasted the ball wide.
Petrus meanwhile got his volley blocked by a QAF defender a few minutes later.
Jerudong were reduced to 10 men when Mohd Julremi was given the marching order for dangerous tackle on Riwandi in the 86th minute.

The Brunei Times

No comments:

Post a Comment