17 April 2015

Sergio strikes again

Friday, April 17, 2015

PAULO Sergio strikes again for DPMM FC!
The Portuguese forward netted the only goal to see DPMM FC emerge 1-0 winners over a resilient Geylang International FC in the Singapore League (S-League) last night - the second straight game that he found the back of the net after scoring a double during his debut in the 3-2 victory against Hougang United FC on April 4
According to the S-League’s twitter feed, DPMM FC’s latest signing dribbled past three markers before unleashing a fierce shot from the six-yard box.
Geylang custodian Yazid Yasin got a hand to it, but he was not able to prevent the visitors from bagging all three points at the Bedok Stadium in Singapore.
DPMM FC are the only unbeaten side left in the 10-team competition and are up to second place with 13 points from five matches.
Albirex Niigata (S) FC are at the summit with 15 points but have played two games more.
On field captain Sairol Hj Sahari expressed his satisfaction that the visitors managed to grab the win last night.
“Coach (Steve Kean) was delighted with our performance tonight (Thursday night) as we all followed his instructions,” said Sairol in an interview with The Brunei Times after the triumph.
“Geylang are not an easy team to play against even though they’ve got a new squad.
“We kept the ball very well even though the field was not in the best condition. But I’m happy for my team and teammates and we hope to keep the momentum going,” continued the DPMM FC left-back.
Both teams got off to a slow start and it was the visitors who troubled the hosts early on.
Rafael Ramazotti, the S-League top scorer with six goals, got at the end of Joe Gamble’s freekick in the ninth minute but his header was deflected out.
DPMM FC were going with their long ball tactics but the Eagles dealt well with them, and in the 25th minute, Bruno Castanheira got away from three players but was unable to find a teammate in the box.
Geylang got their first shot on target in the 40th minute with Tastsuro Inui firing from the edge of the box, but the ball was caught by DPMM FC shotstopper Wardun Yussof.
The hosts went on the counter and skipper Jozef Kaplan pulled the trigger twice in the 43rd minute, only for DPMM FC sweeper Brian McLean to close down both his attempts.
Another chance came for Geylang just before the half-time whistle but Castanheira headed over Inui’s corner.
Azwan Ali Rahman almost broke the deadlock for DPMM FC just two minutes after the interval but his free-kick bounced over Yazid and came off the woodwork.
Sergio shot at goal from 35 yards after seeing Yazid off his line in the 57th minute but the ball went over the bar.
Najib Hj Tarif wasted an opportunity after finding space in the box in the 65th minute but got it wrong on his attempt, and though DPMM FC were getting closer to breaking the deadlock, they couldn’t find a way past Yazid.
Sairol tried from distance in the 73rd minute but Yazid palmed it away, and Azwan Ali got a shot off from inside the box three minutes later but the Geylang custodian once again produced another save.
The tie could have gone either way before Sergio’s moment of brilliance.
The S-League continues today with Tampines Rovers FC going up against defending champions Warriors FC at the Jalan Besar Stadium in Singapore.

The Brunei Times

No comments:

Post a Comment