01 April 2012

DPMM FC tame Bulls

Yee Chun Leong

Saturday, March 31, 2012

-Shahrazen, Basiru send DPMM FC back to summit

DPMM FC kept their unbeaten Singapore League (S-League) record intact last night when they beat Gombak United 3-0 to move back to the summit.

Last night's victory at the Bulls' Jurong West Stadium in Singapore puts DPMM FC on 14 points from six matches.

Gombak started out the better team and dominated the first 20 minutes of the game. DPMM FC were struggling to rein in the Bulls, but soon found their rhythm to hit back.

The Bruneians started to create chances and eventually took the lead after playing more organised football at both ends of the field. Brunei's only professional football team took the lead through an own goal by Walid Lounis, who headed the ball into his own net from a DPMM FC cross.

Striker Shahrazen Said then doubled DPMM FC's lead in the 37th minute after connecting on a cross by Brazilian import Rodrigo Gral.

Osman Basiru also got on the scoresheet after a good solo effort in the 50th minute.

The Ghanaian hitman dribbled into the box from the right and unleashed a powerful shot to beat Zaiful Nizam in between the Gombak sticks for a 3-0 advantage.

His fourth goal of the campaign, Basiru is his team's topscorer.

The win was even sweeter as both head coach Vjeran Simunic and goalkeeper coach Hj Zainol Ariffin Hj Jumat were serving one-match touchline bans imposed by the Football Association of Singapore (FAS) having been sent to the stands in the previous match against Malaysia's Harimau Muda.

Ilham Jais, the DPMM FC assistant coach, took over the duties of handling the team and was proud of the boys' performance.

"Everyone on the team did their job. The players gave it more than 100 per cent out there in the game. I have to credit them for the win," said Ilham during an interview with The Brunei Times after the win.

"Overall, we are very happy with all three points and it is a bonus that we kept a clean sheet in the victory," he added.

"Everything went really well for us and I thought we played fantastic football at both the offensive and defensive ends," continued Ilham.

DPMM FC made two substitutions in last night's game with midfielder Sairol Sahari replaced by Mohammad Helmi Zambin in the 69th minute while Awangku Fakhrazzi taking over the duties from Shahrazen in the 89th minute.

"I'm happy with both the changes. They adapted to the game quickly and even managed to create a few chances," said Ilham.

"Now we are already concentrating on our next game against the Young Lions (Singapore Under-23 team)," he concluded.

The Brunei side who have won four matches and drawn two will host the Young Lions next Friday at the Hassanal Bolkiah National Stadium in Berakas.

DPMM FC's unbeaten record is one they share with Harimau Muda (Malaysian Under-23 team).

Gombak are 10th in the 13-team table with six points.

The other game last night saw Hougang United FC beat Woodlands Wellington FC 3-1 at the Woodlands Stadium.

Jordan Westley Webb scored a brace for Hougang with a goal in the 28th minute followed by a penalty in the 49th minute.

Stanislav Vidakovic made it 3-0 after halftime finding the back of the net in the 56th minute.

Goh Swee Swee netted a consolation goal in the 71st minute for Woodlands.The Brunei Times

No comments:

Post a Comment