23 May 2014

Warriors snap DPMM FC’s win streak

Friday, May 23, 2014
DPMM FC saw their seven-game winning streak come to an end after losing 1-0 away to second-placed Warriors FC in the Singapore League (S-League) last night.
Hafiz Rahim’s free-kick mid-way through the first half was the difference between the two sides at the Choa Chu Kang Stadium in Singapore.
The loss resulted in the gap at the top for DPMM FC trimmed to only four points.
They are still locked on 31 points while Warriors are now on 27.
It was also the first in 13 matches that the Brunei-side have failed to find the back of the net.
DPMM FC captain Rosmin Hj Md Kamis felt that luck was not on their side, which resulted in their second defeat of the season.
“I thought we were unlucky as our opponents scored via a free-kick. Everybody missed the ball and it hit the post before going in,” said Rosmin in an interview with The Brunei Times after the match.
“We played according to the game plan like we usually do and we also had our opportunities but failed to convert them. It was just not our day.
“We still top the table so there is no need to panic. The team spirit is still there,” he added.
According to the match report on the S-League website, DPMM FC had a good chance in the early going through marquee signing Roy O’Donovan in the 13th minute - but saw his effort saved by Warriors goalkeeper Hassan Sunny in a one-on-one situation.
The Warriors custodian was on hand to parry Roberto Alviz’s free-kick at full-stretch the next minute.
It was in the 22nd minute that Hafiz curled in the free-kick - which he won at the edge of the box - off the post for the sole goal of the encounter.
The home side dominated the remainder of the first half but were unable to add to their lead. Nicolas Velez came closest a minute before the interval after getting at the end of Kevin McCann’s cross.
The former sent his header towards goal, which DPMM FC goalkeeper Wardun fumbled but managed to claw out to safety.
Azwan Ali Rahman almost equalised for the visitors in the 54th minute, but Hassan was up to the task to save his shot from inside the penalty area.
Hafiz almost added another for the Warriors in the 69th minute but Wardun did enough to keep his attempt out.
Brunei’s only professional team will now take a break from the S-League with their next game only on June 6 against Home United at the Hassanal Bolkiah National Stadium in Berakas.
DPMM FC will open their Singapore Cup campaign against Philippine side Global FC at the Jalan Besar Stadium in Singapore next Saturday.
The other game saw Home United come back from a goal down to beat Geylang International FC 4-1 at the Bedok Stadium in Singapore.
Kento Fukuda gave Geylang a good start after finding the back of the net in the 16th minute.
The lead was cancelled out by Kwon Dakyung in the 31st minute before Fazrul Nawaz gave Home United the lead six minutes later.
Kwon notched his second of the game in the 42nd minute to bring the scores to 3-1 at halftime.
It was only in the final minute that Fazrul was able to make it 4-1 for Home United.
The victory saw Home United leapfrog three-time defending champions Tampines Rovers into third place with 24 points.
The Stags, who are on 22 points, will only play their game today as they take on the Young Lions (Singaporean Under-23 football team) at the Jalan Besar Stadium.
The other match will see fifth-placed Albirex Niigata (S) FC head to Pasir Gudang in Johor to face against Harimau Muda B (Malaysian Under-21 football team).

The Brunei Times

No comments:

Post a Comment