08 October 2014

Kean: I thought those two freekicks were dubious

Wednesday, October 8, 2014

DPMM FC head coach Steve Kean felt that two bogus decisions was the reason they lost their Singapore League (S-League) game against Warriors FC last night.
The visitors were awarded free-kicks in the 47th and 62nd minutes when Nicholas Velez was judged to have been fouled, and they scored from both of them - changing the complexion of the game at the Hassanal Bolkiah National Stadium in Berakas.
The first free-kick gave the Warriors a 2-1 lead and the second made it 3-1, with Kean telling the media after the game that he felt the two decisions were “dubious”.

“I thought the two free-kicks were ‘given’,” said Kean after the game.
“The player (Velez) who was supposedly fouled came over to me at the end and said ‘coach, that wasn’t a foul’.
“I didn’t think it was and he didn’t. Sometimes we get decisions that go our way and sometimes we don’t.
“I thought those two freekicks were dubious, but they were great technical finishes.
“Take nothing away from the Warriors as they finished their ch ances very well.
“They didn’t have many chances until we opened up to chase the game.
“They took their chances and maybe on another day those are not free-kicks,” continued Kean.
The Scotsman also felt that they started strongly before the decisions saw the momentum shift.
Kean also expressed his disappointment in the final minutes of the game after Shahrazen Said scored in the 90th minute to cut the deficit to one goal.
“I felt we were excellent in the first 35 minutes before conceding a poor goal at the end of the half,” said Kean.
“Having a decision go against us and from a strong position to going down 2-1, it is difficult to get the momentum going again.
“I thought we stuck at it and kept going but the biggest frustration came with five minutes to go,” he added.
“We tried to play very long diagonal balls from our fullbacks into a very good goalkeeper (Hassan Sunny) instead of the extra pass to get to wider areas and get crosses in from final third.
“I’m most disappointed with that then any other part of the game,” continued the former Blackburn Rovers manager.
Warriors head coach Alex Weaver was all smiles after claiming three points from the encounter to get themselves back in the title race.
“I think we found it difficult to adjust to all the break ups and the play (in the first half) as the DPMM FC players were throwing themselves on the ground easily and winning free-kicks,” said Weaver.
“It disrupted the plays and we switched off a bit after the goal. But we have good characters in the team.
“When things aren’t exactly going our way, it takes a strong team and personality to force our way into game,” he added.
“Credit to DPMM FC to start the game well but we dealt with it well and came back. I’m very pleased with the result and with the performance as Brunei is a difficult place to come to play.
“We kept to the things that we rehearsed in training.
“There is no man of the match as everybody contributed just as much,” he concluded.

The Brunei Times

No comments:

Post a Comment