18 October 2014

Wasps fail to take flight against Myanmar

Friday, October 17, 2014
BRUNEI are down and out of the ASEAN Football Federation (AFF) Suzuki Cup 2014 after falling 3-1 to favourites Myanmar in the qualifiers last night.
The defeat was the third straight for the Wasps and it killed off their chances of making the tournament proper.
After a goalless first half, the trio of Min Min Thu, Kyaw Ko Ko and Kyi Lin found the back of the net for Myanmar at the National Sports Complex in Vientiane.
Adi Said was the Bruneian that got his name on the scoresheet in the loss.
Head coach Steve Kean (pic) made several changes to the side that lost 4-2 to hosts Laos on Tuesday.
The trio of Md Nurikhwan Othman, stand in captain Hj Md Subhi Abdilah Hj Bakir and Ak Yura Indera Putera Pg Yunus were given their first starts.
The squad also welcomed the return of Azwan Ali Rahman from injury.
The Wasps came out with a good sense of urgency and were looking sharp on both ends of the field.
Adi Said had a good chance in the sixth minute after getting behind the backline but stumbled just outside the box.
He got another opportunity after getting at the end of a long ball over the top in the 12th minute, putting him through on goal.
He did well to chip the ball over the onrushing Myanmar goalkeeper Thina Si Thu but watched his shot soar inches over the crossbar.
Brunei got another chance in the 22nd minute after Azwan Ali dribbled into the box but his shot went straight into the arms of Myanmar’s keeper.
Myanmar forward Kyaw, who was the topscorer of the 4th Hassanal Bolkiah Trophy two years ago, was a constant threat for his team.
He skipped past Reduan Hj Petara in the 28th minute but could only shoot wide of the right post.
He threatened again in the next minute but this time the ball ended on the wrong side of the left post.
He was on target with a freekick from 25 yards out in the 30th minute but Azman Ilham did well to punch out his effort.
Myanmar were stringing short passes together, looking to break the Brunei defence but to no avail.
The favourites brought on Min Min after the break and it paid dividends immediately.
Kyaw brought the ball down on the right and, instead of waiting for support, went past Reduan before firing at the near post in the 48th minute.
Azman Ilham did well to produce a save but Min Min was the first to the ball to tap in the rebound for the lead.
The advantage was doubled in the 53rd minute after Min Min flicked on a freekick from their own half for Kyaw in the box.
The latter then overpowered Ak Yura to fire past Azman Ilham to make it 2-0 from an identical position as the first goal.
The Wasps were shaken up as Myanmar dominated the proceedings.
Soe Min Oo almost added a third on the hour mark but his powerful shot from just inside the box went inches off the right post.
The crossbar came to the rescue of Brunei in the 69th minute with Kyaw firing a shot from just outside the box.
The Wasps were given a lifeline in the 78th minute with Adi bulging the net from inside the box.
Any hopes of a comeback was, however, shortlived with Myanmar adding to the scoresheet just four minutes later.
The flag had stayed down for substitute Kyi Lin as he raced past Ak Yura before beating Azman Ilham one-on-one to make it 3-1.
Myanmar could have added another in the 88th minute but Kyaw failed to connect on a cross from the left by Kyi Lin before Min Min missed from point blank range the next minute.
Brunei will contest their final group game against Cambodia on Monday.
The competition is still wide open for the other teams after Cambodia come back from two goals down to edge Timor Leste 3-2 in the earlier match.
Laos currently lead the five-team standings with a maximum six points from two matches.
Timor Leste and Myanmar are tied on four points but the latter have played a game less.
Cambodia are fourth with three points from two matches while Brunei are rooted at the bottom with none.

The Brunei Times

No comments:

Post a Comment