10 November 2014

DPMM FC win third in S’pore Cup

Thursday, November 6, 2014

DPMM FC finally got one over Tampines Rovers FC.
Rodrigo Tosi was the hero of the match after scoring in the last minute to seal a 2-1 victory for a third place finish in the Singapore Cup last night.
The game looked set for a penalty shootout before the late drama saw DPMM FC end their season on a high at the Jalan Besar Stadium in Singapore.
The victory was also the first triumph for Brunei's only professional team over Tampines in eight meetings stretching back to 2012.
According to the Singapore League (S-League) Facebook page, the winning goal was the result of determined play by Tosi in Tampines’ goal area.
A freekick in the box was initially headed by Tosi towards goal.
Tampines goalkeeper Justin Pasfield couldn’t get a hold onto the ball, allowing Roberto Alviz to pounce on the rebound only to watch it bounce off the crossbar.
Tosi would not squander a second opportunity as he headed the ball into the empty net off the second rebound for the win.
DPMM FC initially looked set to suffer another defeat at he hands of the Stags as they jumped out to a 1-0 lead in the 14th minute.
Tampines were awarded a penalty after Ak Md Fakhrazzi Pg Hassan brought down Ismadi Mukhtar in the box.
Miljan Mrdakovic would step up to the line before sending the ball into the back of the net, beating Wardun Yussof in between the DPMM FC sticks.
Tampines almost doubled their lead in the 29th minute after Ismadi got the better of three DPMM FC defenders before sending a cross into the box which was miskicked by Mrdakovic.
DPMM FC equalised two minutes later after a mistake by the Tampines backline allowed Azwan Ali Rahman to square the ball for Tosi to score with a simple tap in.
The Brunei side could have taken the lead just before halftime but Md Hendra Azam Md Idris sent his volley over the crossbar.
Tampines almost got back in front after a good attempt by Ismadi but Wardun produced a good save.
The rebound fell for Aleksandar Duric, who was playing in his final professional game, but his shot was deflected and came off the woodwork.
The Stags picked up their game and continuously threatened the DPMM FC goal.
Mrdakovic was put through on goal in the 66th minute but Abdul Aziz Tamit did well for a crucial tackle.
Duric had placed a shot wide in the 70th minute but the ball headed in the direction of Jozef Kaplan who reacted too late.
In the 74th minute, Ismadi shot just wide of Wardun’s left post and Kaplan did the same the next minute.
Kaplan tried to set up Duric in the 82nd minute but the latter couldn’t get his shot on goal before the late drama unfolded.
The third-place finish in the competition sums up DPMM FC’s best season to date.
They won the Singapore League Cup after defeating Tanjong Pagar United FC 2-0 in the final at the Jalan Besar Stadium on July 25.
The Brunei side led the S-League most of the season but stumbled at the end after losing 2-1 to Tampines at the same venue last Friday.
Warriors FC clinched the League title for the ninth time after defeating Albirex Niigata (S) FC at the Choa Chu Kang Stadium in Singapore.
Home United FC and Balestier Khalsa FC will close out the Singapore football season as they face off in the Singapore Cup final tomorrow.

The Brunei Times

No comments:

Post a Comment